In spite of the intricacy of the assembly I actually took it apart...twice.
And after rummaging through what I thought was a large quantity of yarn, I discovered I had no black yarn of any quantity.
And I'm not making a trip out for that right now
So I've switched to white trees, birch to be exact.
And that decided I took it apart to I could move the 'light ' block. And that meant I needed to shuffle another dozen.
While I was at that I decided the light source was the moon. Not all moons in art are giant and this one is smaller than the 3 inch blocks, and set in as well. (That could change.)
it's an interesting little exercise making a circle with in a square without cutting a circle....
The pictures say it better.
All I used was school glue and when the background is quilted (coming up next) the moon edge will be secured.
A canning ring was a nice size
Using tweezers, tiny little 'snips' are secured with glue
All the way around.
The yellow block was slipped behind and I added a layer of white organza and some Angelina for sparkle.
All that was left was to sew all the pieces back together. This has a better feel. Now I can quilt it and finish it before I add the trees.